- Recreating the Strashun LibraryRecreating the Strashun Library
Hebrew publishing -- Poland
Shefa‘ tal (Abundance of dew; also means priestly hand blessing), by Shabetai Sheftel ben Akiva Horowitz, Bilzorka, 1807. This kabbalistic work was issued by one of the many small presses that emerged in the Russian Empire in the late eighteenth century and is printed on the type of cheap, blue-tinted paper often used by indigent printers. The stamp at center, right, indicates that the book at one time belonged to the library of Yisroel Halevi Kitover, rabbi of Felsztyn (now Skelivka, Ukr.). (Bottom) Russian censor's stamp. (Top) Inscription by another owner of the book, "Moyshe of the village of Holvits" (Golevichi?, Bel.).
Horowitz, Shabetai Sheftel ben Akiva
YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
YIVO owns the compilation of content that is posted on this website, which consists of text, images, and/or audio, and video. However, YIVO does not necessarily own each component of the compilation. Some content is in the public domain and some content is protected by third party rights. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in YIVO websites.
The materials on this web site may be used for personal, research and educational purposes only. Publication (including posting on the Internet and online exhibitions) or any other use without prior authorization is prohibited. Please visit https://www.yivo.org/Rights-Reproductions for more information about use of materials from this website.
YIVO has employed due diligence in seeking to identify copyright holders of the materials in this compilation. We invite any copyright owners who are not properly identified to contact us at email@example.com.
Horowitz, Shabetai Sheftel ben Akiva, “Shefa‘ tal ,” YIVO Online Exhibitions, accessed March 2, 2024, https://strashunlibrary.yivo.org/items/show/2898.